Bob was born in West Lafayette and has lived in Indiana most of his life. In 1990, he attended Indiana University School of Law in Indianapolis. Bob, selected by his peers as a Super Lawyer, is focused in his practice, limiting his representation only to those injured or killed due to another’s negligence. Bob has developed a particular passion for helping brain injury victims, with personal experience caring for his teenage daughter with special needs. This reality informs every act Bob takes as a lawyer for those facing tragedy.
Bob and his wife Amy, who is also an attorney, have three daughters. One of their daughters has cerebral palsy due to a lack of oxygen at birth, leaving her both mentally and physically disabled. She enjoys going to school, swimming with her sisters, and walking with the family dog.
Bob’s own life experiences have equipped him with the ability to approach representation of personal injury victims with empathy. He’s able to identify with and understand a family’s thoughts, feelings, and concerns. Since 1990, Bob has personally represented over 750 clients in various personal injury and wrongful death cases, including automobile collisions, trucking collisions, medical malpractice, and motorcycle accidents.
Bob received an undergraduate degree from Miami of Ohio in 1990 and graduated from law school in 1993. He initially practiced at Vaughan & Vaughan in Lafayette, Indiana from 1993 to 1998 and later worked for Tabor Law Firm until 2004.
Bob spent six years at The Hastings Law Firm before making a brief return to Tabor. In 2011, he made the decision to start Johnson Jensen, LLP with his trusted colleague, Travis Jensen, focusing on a strong commitment to results and client service. Bob was admitted to the Indiana State Bar Association in 1993, and the U.S. District Courts in the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana.
He’s also a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), the American Association for Justice (formerly known as the American Trial Lawyers Association), the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, the National Crime Victims Bar Association, and the Indianapolis Bar Association. Bob is on the Board of Directors of The Indiana Trial Lawyers Association. He’s been a finalist for the Trial Lawyer of the Year on three occasions.
Bob keeps active with running, cycling, golfing. He’s also active in his community, volunteering and serving as a pro bono attorney for the Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic, on the Board of Directors for Meals on Wheels, Inc., and the Legal Aid Corporation of Tippecanoe County.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death in General 50%
- Medical Malpractice - Severe Injury or Death 50%
- Indiana, 1993
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 1993
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1993
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
- J.D. - 1993
- Miami University, Ohio
- B.A. - 1990
- Major: Economics and Political Science
- Hematology-Oncology of Indiana PC v. Fruits, 932 N.E.2d 698, Ind. S. Ct.
- Indiana Patient's Compensation Fund v. Holcomb, 17 N.E.3rd 255, Ind. S. Ct.
- Indiana Patient's Compensation Fund v. Brown, 949 N.E.2d 822, Ind. S. Ct.
- Masten v. AMCO Ins. Co., 953 N.E.2d 566, Ind. Ct. App.
- Celadon Trucking v. Kirsh, 910 N.E.2d 1289, Ind. Ct. App.
- Wrongful Death: Economic Damages, ICLEF, 2018
- Evidence: Tough Issues Argued, ICLEF, 2017
- ITLA Lifetime Achievement, ITLA, 2011 to Present
Honors and Awards
- Trial Lawyer of the Year
- Super Lawyer
- ITLA Trial Lawyer of the Year
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, Exec. Committee Member
- National Crime Victims Bar Association, Member
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Member
- The Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors
Past Employment Positions
- Vaughan & Vaughan in Lafayette, Indiana, 1993 to 1998
- Tabor Law Firm, 1998 to 2004
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteering and Pro bono attorney, Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic
- Board of Directors for Meals on Wheels, Inc.
- Legal Aid Corporation of Tippecanoe County
- Precognitive Jury Research, LLC